Sciatica-Lower Back Pain
Complete Cure from Ayurvedic Medicine and Treatment
Sciatica is known as GRIDHRASI in Ayurveda. It is neuralgia or pain in the sciatica nerves. This sciatic nerve emerges from the pelvis and runs down the back of the thigh. Sciatica pains can be felt in either one leg or both legs.
CAUSE OF ILLNESS
According to Ayurveda, Sciatica is usually caused by an increase or aggravation of "vatha dosha". The buttocks and part of the thighs and legs are serviced by the Sciatica nerve. Pressing of the Sciatica nerve and inflammation of the areas surrounding the Sciatica nerve lead to this medical condition.
- If a person bends the body to unreal angles, falls from a height or meets with an accident that hurts the lower back region then he may suffer from the pain of sciatica.
- If the spinal nerve root or the spinal nerve itself gets compressed due to a herniated vertebral disc in the spine, it can be one of the major reasons of true sciatica. Repetitive strain on the lower back, especially on 8 hour seated working class, this is common.
- As a person grows older, there is a general wear and tear of the sciatic nerve, or the muscles supporting the sciatic nerve. This causes the nerve to get compressed, which results in pains of sciatica.
- Sometimes infections and tumours can cause exertion of the sciatic nerve and this may also be one of the causes of sciatica.
According to Ayurveda, aggravation of vayu is the cause of sciatica. Sometimes, the vitiation of kapha and vata brings on the attack. Different types of sciatica pains may be felt by a person and this depends on where exactly on the sciatic nerve the pain is originating from. The following types of pain are seen.
Back pain experienced in the region of the buttocks, the back of the thigh or the leg. Patient experiences difficulty walking.
- Sensation changes in the back, in the calf or the sole of the feet
- Numbness and decreased sensation
- Tingling and burning sensations
- Mild or severe pain
- Weakness of the knee or foot resulting in difficulty in walking
- Inability to move the foot (severe case)
- Inability to bend the knee (severe case)
In Ayurveda, Sciatica is treated with a combination of internal herbal pills, herbal decoctions and elixirs/ herbal wine, and external oil applications and hot fomentation.
INTERNAL AYURVEDIC MEDICINE
- Herbal pills called "Yogaraja Guggulu". Guggulu is a resin obtained from the tree Camphora Mukul, found in South Asia. The Yogaraja Guggulu is made by making a paste of Guggulu resin, 25 types of herbs, and ghee. The medicine is very effective in the treatment of all pains of the nervous system.
- Herbal elixire/herbal wine called the "Bala Arishta". Or Maha Rasnadi Kashayam. This herbal decoction contains about 43 herbs, plums, juggery (molasses), honey and water. The medicine has an anti-inflammatory property. It tones up the nerves and helps the nerves to work more effectively.
- Fresh herbal decoctions prepared by boiling a large number of dry and fresh herbs (at times up to 20 compounds). Depending on the patients’ condition, these decoctions also help to reduce the pain associated with the disease.
- To avoid constipation, which often aggravates the symptoms, Castor oil or a laxative is prescribed for internal use with the decoctions. Castor oil is a good purgative and has the qualities of reducing the effect of constipation associated with Vata Dosha.
MOST IMPORTANT- EXTERNAL PANCHAKARMA TREATMENTS
- External oil application on the painful parts of the body, particularly the back region, buttocks, and part of the thighs and legs with the medicinal oil called "Kottamchukadi". This medicinal oil is prepared with the base of mustard oil, camphor and special herbs and turpentine.
- Hot fomentation of the painful parts with the help of "Bolus" or bundles of fresh and dry herbal parts and sea salt wrapped in cloth.
The oil massage and the fomentation improve the blood circulation, stimulate and strengthen the nerves and reduce the aggravated Vatha Dosha and helps to reduce the pain.
Data analysed shows that the majority of the patients were cured of the disease. A cure takes about 4 weeks of treatment. Almost all the patients experienced reduction of symptoms. Reduction of symptoms was seen after about 2 - 3 weeks of treatment.